Sunday 13 November 2011

Facing Your Fears

Evan Rachel Wood approaches her roles with a Method-like intensity. To play Veda in Mildred Pierce, which she calls the hardest role she has ever done, she had to convince audiences she was a top soprano singer. "Before we even began filming, we had two months of preparation for mimicking piano, which I can still do in the air," she wiggles her fingers to illustrate her point. "I had to learn to lip-synch opera in three different languages. I almost wish I had really been singing because that would have been easier than having to nail down somebody's every breath and move." She says that she didn't listen to anything but opera the entire time she was working on Mildred Pierce. "I even played the songs in my sleep so that it was subconsciously just engrained."

The young actress was also faced with one of her first nude scenes. This caused no end of prurient speculation about 'merkins' in the US press. These are the wigs used to simulate female pubic hair. Wood reportedly had to use one in the name of authenticity because women in the 1930s didn't bikini-wax. "I feel like I've avoided that as long as possible," Wood reflects on the scene for the Independent. "No matter what, everybody has got fears and insecurities. For me, when I am really afraid of something, I have to do it. I have to face that fear... and now I am so happy that I did it!"


Her terror at the nude scene was mitigated (at least to an extent) by the presence of her co-star, the redoubtable Kate Winslet. "Kate was the main person who really put everything in perspective for me..." Wood adds that the scene wasn't titillating in the slightest. "It's not a sexy moment at all. It is one of the most unsettling, disturbing uses of nudity I've seen on TV in quite some time... I am not in a hurry to do it again. It was not as if it's some quick shot. It's one long shot, slowly walking past the camera. There is no hiding anything. It was terrifying, but afterwards Kate and I had a drink and Kate said, 'Here's to your first full-frontal!'."

Wood mimics Winslet's accent, making her sound strangely like Joyce Grenfell. It's an impersonation she first aired on Chelsea Lately recently when reminiscing about her time working with the English actress. "Kate's done everything," Evan stated, before revealing she didn't want to 'look bad' to Kate by not doing the nude scene. "She basically dares you! She's like, 'I've done it all, all right. I mean I've peed on camera and then had to make out with Harvey Keitel.' And I was like, 'Wow. Yeah, that trumps my whole nude scene. So, I'm going to have to do this.'" Kate did reward Evan for doing it though, making her tea during the scene and then afterwards she poured the vodka tonics.

So what did her own mum make of her turn in Mildred Pierce as the daughter from hell? "She loved it... the performance, not the character." Wood watched Mildred Pierce alongside her parents and was "proud" that they didn't flinch, even when Veda was at her most mischievous and destructive... and naked.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Copyright 2007 ID Media Inc, All Right Reserved. Crafted by Nurudin Jauhari