Thursday 27 October 2011

Borgia S01E06

"Venus trap? That sounds nice ..."
German tongues are wagging about ZDF's "Borgia" - the six-part historical spectacle centred on the Spanish noble family and the two popes during the Middle Ages. The series shows everything that the public broadcasters have no place for: sex, violence, incest. And plenty of it. One of the faces of the 25 million euro production is Isolda Dychauk, a native Russian who has lived for the past nine years in Berlin. She plays Lucrezia Borgia, the illegitimate daughter of Rodrigo Borgia, later Pope Alexander VI. Here she grants Susie Groth her first big interview...


For a few days it seems hardly anybody is not talking about "Borgia" and you and your role. How does that feel?

I have not yet grasped it properly. This is all like a rush. I believe, I need a holiday just to process it all.

Have you managed to get new roles in recent weeks and days?

Until a few days ago I could not start anything new. We all really hope for a second season of "Borgia". At least ZDF is seriously considering it. For the shooting I had to keep myself constantly available; the first season we shot a whole seven months.

Then you were seven months at a time in Prague?

Yes, more or less. In between times I was a few weeks at home.

And school?

For "Borgia" have I paused the school. I could not make it there but it may well be that I catch up sometime.

"Borgia" is the biggest project of your career, a Franco-German production with performers from 18 nations. How shocked are you, with such a huge project to be able to be a part of it?

At first I was totally shocked that I even got the part because I had never expected it. That was one of my first auditions in English and I had at that time only passable English speaking. At the beginning of the shoot I was therefore even more concentrating on the language rather than the acting. But over time I found myself getting into such a groove I even started to dream in English. We even spoke English behind the camera so at that point it then felt like an exchange year.

Your foster mother plays Andrea Sawatzki and represents one of the few German actors in the film. How was that for you?

She is a really lovable person who has helped me an insane amount. During my first public appearances she was immediately on the spot when I did not know from nervousness what I should say. She is incredibly fascinating and interesting and a pretty cool woman.

Did you know the history of the Borgia dynasty, anyway?

Honestly, no. I had only heard the name of Borgia and Lucrezia Borgia before, but nothing more. I consulted Wikipedia only once before the first casting interview. Before shooting we sat a long time with the writer Tom Fontana and director Oliver Hirschbiegel and together developed the story and analyzed the characters.

The daily newspapers recently called you "Venus Trap" ...

I did not notice that. It sounds nice but ... (giggles)

In your role you are the sweet Lolita who shows a lot of skin. Was that difficult?

Let's just say it was not easy and not totally pleasant. But I was very lucky because I have been protected by all the directors who are great; and those scenes especially are handled very carefully with me, and attention is paid to ensure that it was not uncomfortable for me ... But it was strange, even if those were not the first nude scenes I've shot. They were the most difficult.

You're only 18 - where did you get this sensuality?

So I did not worry about it too much I just played myself...

How were your parents about this freedom?

Since they share the same opinion as me- that it is just part of my job- they are primarily proud of me.

The first part of "Borgia" saw an average of 5.5 million, and even movies such as "Pope Joan", "The Pillars of the Earth" or "The Whore" did not recorded such figures. How do you explain this widespread fascination with the Middle Ages and the Renaissance?

Maybe people love to escape into another time that was so cruel and yet so magical ... And it shows that life used to be even harder than it is today. Maybe this is somehow a comfort.

As for the representation of violence, the film had to suffer criticism because it is too brutal for some ...

No matter what you do, there is always divided opinion, you will never satisfy everyone. But I think it was right to show the whole thing so relentlessly, otherwise it is not authentic. We were still "soft" because in reality it was much more brutal... And yes the show is not suitable for children keep so just don't let them sit in front of the TV when it's on!

You grew up in Siberia, but when you were nine you came with your mother and your cat to Germany ...

Yes, my mother had fallen in love with a German and therefore we went far away from Siberia. That was a great adventure for me. I had at the time never been abroad; even though I did not really realize that I was leaving my home forever.

What are your strongest memories of your childhood in Russia?

I'm from the city of Surgut in Western Siberia. This is a gas and oil town, everything is influenced by those industries. It snows a great deal; upto six months at a time. If these snow mountains melt then, you can hardly walk anywhere because of the mud... But I am a very sunny person. I like heat and light. That's why I'm so happy, now I'm living in Berlin.

Do you speak Russian still today?

Yes, with my mother. I want it to stay with me.

Do you ever think about where you would stand today if you had remained in Siberia?

Oh, no idea. Maybe I would have concentrated on ballet. I've abandoned it in Germany because of the acting.

You're already at 17 living with your boyfriend. Why so early?

I just knew that it was it. I always knew that I would take off at 18 anyway, so it was just a year early. My mother and her husband live outside in Lankwitz and that was always difficult to come to town. That's why I wanted to live nearer as soon as possible.

What is next on with you?

First off is some leisure time. I've only just completed a TV project: "I do not like Mondays". It is about life after a killing spree at a school. I play the daughter of a teacher who was killed and now must look after his little brother, because the father is a wreck ... A great film.

"I do not like Mondays," "Police," "crime scene", "Borgia" - all serious substances. Can you see yourself ever doing a comedy?

I have never had the chance unfortunately, but I would like to try ... But first I sincerely hope the sequel to "Borgia".



Television Series: Borgia (S01E06- Legitimacy)
Release Date: September 2011
Actress: Isolda Dychauk &
Marta Gastini
Video Clip Credit: DeepAtSea & Wimsey

Isolda Dychauk










Rapid
Mega
Oron
Filesonic



Marta Gastini










Rapid
Mega
Oron
Filesonic


No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Copyright 2007 ID Media Inc, All Right Reserved. Crafted by Nurudin Jauhari